It's Official...
I hate flying. It scares the mess out of me. Each time I step on board, I think that the plane is going to crash. I used to love it and not think twice about it...until this year. And this last week did me in...6 flights in 9 days. European airlines offer cheap, no frill flights, so my friends and I opted to fly to 6 different countries during our fall break rather than taking trains that are expensive and take forever. The low cost airlines are exactly what I imagined them to be. Let me explain. My friend compared our first flight to a bus in the sky. It really was one of the bumpiest flights I've ever been on. I know the captain can't control turbulence, but they can control the landing to some degree. The first 4 of 6 landings were absolutely awful. #1: The back wheels landed first and the front ones landed a long time afterward and landed very hard. #2: As we neared the runway, the plane kept wobbling back and forth so once the wheels hit the ground, the plane took forever to drive straight. #3: I think the pilot forgot we were supposed to be landing when he saw the runway under us, so he just allowed the plane to drop out of the sky. I was in pain from the shock for a while. #4: Once we landed, the plane came to an abnormally quick, screeching halt. I suffered from a mild case of whiplash. Anyway, we had beautiful weather on our 5th flight to Prague. I was relaxed, doing just fine, until the engines got really loud and the plane began to decline quite steeply. It wasn't time to descend so of course I started freaking out. I put on some Christian music about Heaven to distract myself and prepare my heart since I was convinced we were going to crash. The last flight was ok. The scariest part was walking up the stairs to board it. One of the wing engines was making a clicking noise as it spun around - a noise like it was on its last leg. My heart dropped; I knew there had to be something wrong with it and that it would break as soon as we took off. I got one of my friends to ask the flight attendant about it. She smirked as she replied, "That's normal." I really felt nauseous cause I thought I wouldn't live to see the next few minutes. I'm not scared of death; I can't wait to see my Father in Heaven. But the thought of being in a plane while it crashes is awful. I still have more flights booked for the next few weeks so I need to chill out. I'm usually not a freak about stuff like this. I don't know what's wrong with me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home